General Pre and Post Care for Skin Care Treatment
We want you to receive the most benefits from your treatment every time, which is why we’ve compiled basic guidelines to help you prepare for your appointment and care for your skin afterwards. As well as a list of contraindications to be aware of if this is your first time seeking skin treatment or your health has recently changed.
Below you can find a general outline of all pre + post care instructions. Always follow the instructions detailed on consent + intake forms that are sent via email after booking.
GENERAL PRE-CARE GUIDELINES
- Avoid retinol 5 days before your appointment.
- Avoid active ingredients such as AHA’s and BHA’s 5 days before your appointment. (IE glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, etc.)
- Avoid direct sun exposure 1 – 2 weeks before treatment. (We cannot work on burnt skin)
- Avoid botox injections 1 week and filler 2 weeks pre- and post-appointment.
- Avoid any waxing, tweezing, plucking, or picking of the treatment area for 7 days before treatment.
GENERAL POST-CARE GUIDELINES
Downtime: We recommend 0 – 7 days of downtime, depending on the level of exfoliation. Please communicate with your technician before treatment as each treatment is completely customized.
- Moisturize and protect your fresh skin as much as possible.
- Avoid makeup for 24 hours.
- Skin may have some dryness or flaking after 3-5 days: DO NOT pick, pull or rub skin.
- Do not use any active ingredients (AHA’s, BHA’s, Retinol, etc) for 5-7 days after, depending on skin sensitivity.
- AVOID DIRECT SUN EXPOSURE for 1 – 2 weeks!
- SPF 30+ MUST BE WORN EVERYDAY!!!
- Avoid botox injections 1 week and filler 2 weeks post treatment.
- Avoid any waxing, tweezing, plucking or picking the treatment area for 7 days after treatment.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR SKIN TREATMENTS
We recommend avoiding most treatments if:
- You’ve used Accutane in the last 6 – 12 months.
- You’ve recently used topical prescriptive retinols + skin lighteners IE Retin-a, Tretinoin, Hydroquinone, etc. (Must be discontinued MINIMUM 1 week prior to any treatment).
- You have excessively tanned or burned skin.
- You have allergies (please inform your Aesthetician of any allergies).
- You use a pacemaker or defibrillator (for treatments using electrical current).
- You have certain medical conditions which slow down natural healing, such as uncontrolled diabetes and cancer.
- You have a compromised immune system that impairs skin healing IE autoimmune diseases such as lupus + vitiligo.
Downtime: We recommend 24 hours.
- Avoid touching face & keep pets away from face!
- Use a fresh pillowcase.
- Avoid washing your face for 24hrs.
- Use only hyaluronic acid for the first 24 hrs.
- After 24 hours, you may wear colour science makeup; after 72hrs you can wear regular makeup.
- Redness subsides 24 – 72 hours after treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least 24 – 48hrs.
- After 24hrs, start wearing SPF 30+!
- Avoid active ingredients for at least 5 days.